Throughout the month, the Maggio dei Monumenti series Weekend nei Luoghi del Maggio, Weekends in the Places of May series will transform some of the most characteristic places in Naples into stages for a series of music, theater, literature, and dance programs.
From the meticulously restored San Domenico Maggiore Church to the Basilica of San Giovanni Maggiore Pignatelli that recently reopened its doors after 42 years. In Naples Castel Capuano and Galleria Principe. And in the church and cloister of Sant’Eligio and the underground routes of the Rione Sanità quarter.
San Domenico Maggiore Church
After the Inauguration of the newly restored San Domenico Maggiore Church on May 15th, Icra Project will present performances of Perla Barroca at San Domenico Maggiore Church every weekend through June 2nd.
Fri through Sun May 18th – 20th and 25th – 27th and Fri and Sat June 1st and 2nd. All performances at 1930
San Giovanni Maggiore a Pignatelli Church
The Duo Maria Pia De Vito and Huw Warren are the warm up act on May 5th for a series of solo concerts that will be performed every Saturday and Sunday May 12th through June 3rd at the San Giovanni Maggiore a Pignatelli Church. Loredana Simioli and Gennaro Silvestro will open each concert with readings of poems and texts by major authors who have described and made the city of Naples great. Saturday concerts start at 2100 and Sunday concerts start at 1800.
- May 5th Maria Pia De Vito and Huw Warren in Concert
- May 12th Riccardo Veno in Concert – Saxophone, flute, ethnic woodwinds, voice
- May 13th Valentina Grimaldi in Concert – Flute
- May 19th Francesco Villani in Concert – Piano
- May 20th Mario Formisano in Concert – Bass
- May 26th Carlo Lomanto in Concert – Vocalist
- May 27th Antonio Onorato in Concert – Guitar
- June 2nd Ciccio Merolla in Concert – Percussion
- June 3rd Luca Pugliese in Concert – Voice and Guitar
Galleria di Principe
Galleria di Principe will play host to Neapolitan Music, Contemporary Dance and the Argentine Tango every weekend from May 5th through May 27th.
Aurora Giglio will perform traditional Neapolitan songs in her show Canzoni in oMaggio: The Art of the Posteggia on Saturday May 5th, 12th, 19th and 26th at 1200.
Akerusia Association will present a series of Contemporary Dance Performances at Galleria di Principe
- Sunday May 13th at 1230 Akerusi presents Crossing by Elena and Sabrina D’Aguanno and Dies Festi – compagnia Excursus by Ricky Bonavita
- Sunday May 20th at 1230 Akerusi presents ”PASSIONE” by Elena e Sabrina D’Aguanno
- Saturday May 26th at 2000 Akerusi presents Terra, Tra me, Nerotango by Elena e Sabrina D’Aguanno
- Sunday May 27th at 1230 Akerusi presents Dies Festi – compagnia Excursus by Ricky Bonavita, Tre – Art Garage by Emma Cianchi and La Bambola Coppelia by Uroburo Teatro Danza
Tamotango and Mujeres of the Tango Associations will present an evening of dance with one of the most famous couples in the world of Argentine Tango, Argentine Tango at Galleria Principe with Lorena Ermocida and Fabian Peralta, Sunday May 6th 1900 – 2400
Argentine Tango lessons for beginners and practice open to all with the dancers of the schools La Milonga Porteña e Mujeres del Tango, Sunday May 13th and 20th 1900 – 2200
An evening of dance with exhibitions by the maestros from La Milonga Porteña e Mujeres del Tango Saturday May 27th 1900 – 2400 Argentine Tango
Concerts by the students of the Conservatory of San Pietro a Majella at Sant’Eligio every Sunday May 13th, 20th, 27th and June 3rd at 1800.
Readings and performances in the spaces of Castel Capuano.
- May 5th – 6th Courtyard of Castel Capuano
- May 12th – 13th Castel Capuano – New Openings to the City
- May 19th – 20th Castel Capuano – Narrations in the Hall of Busts
- May 26th – 27th Federì at Castel Capuano
- June 2nd – 3rd I Cantori di Posillipo at Castel Capuano
Theatrical readings and acoustic concerts in the most characteristic places of Naples Rione Sanità.
- May 6th R&Fusion Acoustic Concert in the Catacombs of San Gennaro
- May 12th Dario Mennella Acoustic Concert in the Catacombs of San Gaudioso
- May 13th Salvatore Cantalupo reads Andrei Tarkovskij
- May 19th Antonello Cossia Reads Speeches of Søren Kierkegaard
- May 20th I Posteggiatori Tristi Concert and Show
- May 26th Off-Beat Trio Jazz Concert
- May 27th Anna Mancini Acoustic Concert
- June 2nd Lectura Dantis by Antonio Lucidi
More about Maggio dei Monumenti 2012