DescriptionLocated not far from the Duomo (Naples Cathedral), the Archaeological Complex of Carminiello ai Mannesi dates to the 1st century BC. The oldest known remains are from a domus, on top of which was built a thermal complex in the 1st century AD. During the 2nd century AD, two rooms on the lower floor were transformed into a Mithraeum following the spread of the Persian cult of Mithras. The complex was abandoned in the early 5th century after an apparent earthquake and the structure began a long period of decay. The Church of Carmine ai Mannesi was built on the site the 17th century and it wasn't until the church was bombed in 1943 that these remains came to light.
Category: Archeology & Ancient Ruins, Centro Storico, Cultural Attractions, Free