One of Naples lesser known sites, this archaeological treasure is located in the heart of the Rione Sanità district below the palazzo at Via Santa Maria Antesaecula, 129. Dating to the 3rd/4th century BC, the excavation includes two burial chambers known as the Ipogeo dei Togati and Ipogeo dei Melograni that were uncovered during a structural analysis following the earthquake of 1980. Built some 2400 years ago, they are a part of the Hellenistic Necropolis of Neapolis built by the Greeks in Capodimonte Hill to house the remains of the city’s aristocratic residents.

Maintained by the cultural association Celanapoli, the association’s founder, Carlo Leggieri offers guided tours every Sunday at 1000 am and will arrange tours in English on request.