With just a few days to go until the opening of the Americas Cup Event Village on April 7th, Americas Cup reported yesterday:
Sailors from around the globe are descending upon Naples, Italy as training begins for the fourth regatta in the 2011/12 America’s Cup World Series.
And arriving they are. Spotted yesterday, though I had no idea who it was at the time, Team Korea.
Racing nine boats, the teams come from 7 countries including China, France, Italy, Korea, New Zealand, Sweden, and the U.S.
- China – China Team, skipper Fred Le Peutrec
- France – Energy Team (France), helmsmen Yann Guichard
- Italy – Luna Rossa Challenge- 2 boats, helmsman to be announced April 4th
- Korea – Team Korea, skipper Nathan Outteridge
- New Zealand – Emirates Team, skipper Dean Barker
- Sweden – Artemis Racing, skipper Terry Hutchinson
- U.S. – ORACLE Racing- 2 boats, skippers James Spithill and Darren Bundock
Arriving ahead of the race scheduled for April 11 -15th, practice will take place over Easter Weekend.
According to Americas Cup
Racing is expected to be extremely close, with fierce battle lines already drawn between Emirates Team New Zealand and ORACLE Racing Spithill, who are separated by just one point on the season championship table after the first three AC World Series events.
At the same time however, France’s Aleph has withdrawn from race and the 34th America’s Cup and Green Comm Racing from Spain will not be participating in the Naples event.